Friday, January 13, 2012

Is it okay? Wedding Edition- Guest list woes



I'm preparing to send out my Save the Dates and while we're quickly finalizing the guest list, I'm realizing there is just one person who I don't want at my wedding. 

One girl.

One very mean girl.

boo, you whore.

I wish it was easy to just take her off the list, but it isn't so black and white! Here's a little back story.

Jason and I went to high school together, so a good majority of our friends are still from high school. Particularly, his group of guy friends. He has a ton of them and they are all very loyal to each other. For the past two years, one of his friends has been in quite a serious relationship. And, as any girls in and all boys "group" would do - we became friends. Not necessarily close friends, but friends none-the-less.

Over the past year or so,  I've heard extremely rude things that she has said about Jason and I. Things that have no truth to it, and just flat out mean things to say. She's spread stories, hell even one or two of my friends (close friends, now) used to dislike Jason from her made-up stories. Not that I need to clarify myself to anyone, but I called her out on one of these instances. I'm not really one to keep doing it. Instead, I prefer to cut her out of my life. There is no time for negativity and drama, unless it's on JERZDAY.

Anyway...

Jason is still considerably close to her boyfriend. We plan on inviting him to the wedding, but I can not for the life of me get comfortable with the idea of giving him a "+1." I feel like she would be judging and criticizing us our whole day. I do not want to be thinking about that on my wedding day.

I've kind of already made up my mind about not inviting her, and Jason (and I) are prepared to deal with the backlash. 

Is it okay to invite a close friend but not his long-term girlfriend?
Have any of you ladies had to do this before? How did you handle it? 

I honestly feel like a horrible person for putting my foot down on this, but I can honestly picture her judging me as a I walk down the aisle. And, I don't want those visions to "cloud" this beautiful day.


5 comments:

  1. She is DEFINITELY a mean girl :)

    It's your day, you get to have it your way, just like BK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that it's YOUR wedding and you can do whatever you want. I think your fiance' since it's "his" friend needs to be the one to have a one on one man talk with his friend and say hey, we want you to come, but.....

    and kinda take the cue from there...

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree... Jason needs to talk to whoever it is about her. You don't need people who don't love y'all at your wedding. If you really think she'll cause a scene or something, do what you have to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its your day and you only have one wedding day. Let is be as lovely and as special as you have always dreamed. She doesn't sound like she deserves to be a part of that. If her boyfriend is a good friend, he will understand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like it will just be better off in the end to not invite her. She will get over not being invited, but if she were to ruin your day... or upset you, it is something you will forever regret and never forget! It's okay to put your feelings before others when it comes to your wedding. Hope you figure it out and don't feel too bad! Just came across your blog today... can't wait to read more :)

    ReplyDelete