Tuesday, February 19, 2013

How my perception of High School was ruined.

In 1999, I was just entering 9th grade. Which at my school was a small little campus about 5 miles from the "main" high school campus. We didn't really get the full high school experience until 10th grade. That same year, a movie came out that I was sure a completely accurate description of how amazing high school would be.
She's All That.

We watched it on Sunday night and it made me remember all the things I thought would happen in High School and never did. 
For instance, the amazing rap battle about who's going to win Prom Queen.
I never once saw an awesome Rap battle in the courtyard of  my school. Also, my school didn't have a courtyard, but that's besides the point. It's been a dream of mine to witness a rap battle....doesn't it just seem so fun? I highly doubt that these kids would actually rap about high school drama, but I really wished this happened in my school. It didn't.
You know what we had in school that these kids didn't have? A dress code. Which meant we weren't allowed to wear shorts/dresses shorter than our middle finger or spaghetti strap tanks. Which of course we got away with by wearing a white tank under those spaghetti straps.  Tres Cool. We most certainly not allowed to wear this.
Or the midriffs Taylor's friend Chandler sported the whole flippin' movie.  
Or, how about having an awesome school DJ/announcer. They had Usher for crying out loud.
Our morning announcements were done by our SGA. Which is not even comparable to Usher.
at all. 
Which brings me to my last part. 
What broke my heart the most.... there was never a synchronized dance at my prom.
I mean, this was my favorite part of the movie....and it really made me think these kinds of things were bound to happen in my Senior year.
Let. Down.
Photobucket

12 comments:

  1. I love everything about this post!!! Sooo awesome and so true! I just watched this movie last Friday and I 100% agree!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Movies all together ruined high school for me. Hello, Clueless? High school was NOTHING like Cher told me it would be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post is amazing. And I couldn't agree with you more. High school would have been way cooler with an announcer like Usher.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hilarious and 100% spot on! I want the cool, hip DJ, even Beverly Hills 90210 had David Silver. What the heck?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My hubby and I love when Usher says before the synchronized dance, "let's do that thing I taught you at lunch." Umm, really?

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG I used to LOVE this movie! I haven't seen it in so long now! so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this post and this movie! I wish Usher had been in charge of announcements at my school.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you ever noticed how EVERY teen high school show/movie had a DJ/announcer?! 90210 had David for crying out loud! Our school announcements were done with the secretary! Not even a student! LAME!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have you ever noticed how EVERY teen high school show/movie had a DJ/announcer?! 90210 had David for crying out loud! Our school announcements were done with the secretary! Not even a student! LAME!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just. Died. I love this. I could legit watch this movie on repeat. In facctttt...

    ReplyDelete
  11. a) this came out the summer before I started HS too, b) my freshman year was also spent at the "Freshman Campus" about 5 miles from my HS - I thought my town was the only one! and c) I was completely obsessed with Freddie Prinze Jr. and I think this movie was the start of the madness.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just fell in love with your blog. This is one of my favorite movies EVERR! And yea I was expecting spontaneous dance parties at prom.

    ReplyDelete