Monday, June 17, 2013

Not your average Father's Day

Father's Day has always been a hard day for me.  With Social Media it proves even harder. 
I've briefly touched on my family dynamic, but it is still a subject that is hard for me to write about. Every year during Father's Day, I get a little teary-eyed seeing all of the cute little "My dad is my hero" posts. Mostly because mine is far from that. 

I'm grateful that my Father is still alive, but this quote seems to put everything simply

My parents didn't separate until I was in 10th grade, but my dad emotionally left years before head physically left. He was working non-stop, traveling for business every week and then sleeping all day/night when he was home. I wished during the school years especially that I had a father like my friend's dads. They were there supporting them through Sports events, breakups, relationships, college decisions, etc. Mine was not.  I feel that girls learn invaluable lessons from their relationships with their Dads, whether good or bad. Instead of sulking about the day yesterday, I decided to take a look at the things I did end up learning from my Father.

I learned that parents are people too. I say this all the time now, but it was truly a changing point in my life. I always held my parents on a pedestal and could never understand why they would make mistakes. Until one day, I was so hurt by something and realized that Parents can make mistakes. It's okay in the end.

I learned that in addition to them being people, they'll need forgiveness. More importantly I'll need to be able to forgive. Between the ages of 15-20, I refused to forgive. It was just anger that was sitting inside of me. Forgiveness ultatimely hurts the person who can't let go.

(fave LC quote)

I learned to be passionate about work. Be proactive, responsible and successful. At the same time, never let it get in the way of your family.

I learned to always keep on learning. My father is a man who picks a project and masters it. Rebuilding a car, Playing the Banjo, Photography..you name it. He will find something he's interested in and pursue it to it's fullest.

Lastly...
I learned that adultery can flat out ruin people. Be faithful in all relationships, hold on to those that are close to you. In the end, they are what matters most.

Case in Point:



Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about your daddy struggles. My father is deceased and one of the trickiest things initially was learning how to remember and honor him.... even though he was NOT a perfect man or parent. I'm glad you've been able to take some positive lessons away from an overall negative experience. Thinking of you xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy you shared this post and all the feelings you are having, because I feel the exact same way. I have an amazing step-dad who is more of a dad than my real father ever was. Yesterday I just tried to avoid social media outlets as much as possible, because glorifying dads is something that makes me feel a little bit nauseous. I love the positive spin you put on this. Big hugs! XO

    ReplyDelete