Friday, October 14, 2011

Is it okay?: Wedding Edition

I have a ton of wedding related questions.  A TON! People are beginning to think I'm cray-cray and I'm being driven to drink wine every night. (okay, that last part is a lie-I do that regardless).

I make quick decisions because I loathe the decision making process. If i have an inkling that something will work, I decide yes and then figure out the details later. It's a tactic I've been using for 26 years, it's works! Well- worked. In all honesty, it doesn't work so much in Wedding Planning. I feel anxiety when I think about decisions I've made. I'm constantly doubting myself and I don't really have the typical wedding support system to turn to. I'm thinking of doing a wedding related post on Fridays, to ease the millions of thoughts running through my little ol' head.  My wedding is only 38 Friday posts away! haha

So, today I'm asking: 
Is it okay to request a certain style from a photographer?

My engagement pictures are next Sunday and I'm starting to second guess my photographer choice. Don't be so surprised! I love the lady, we have great chemistry. She's been the photographer in few of my friends weddings, I've seen her work!  It is definitely Traditional. Which I like! I'm going for the whole "rustic" feel, so I want my pictures to be timeless.  Until one of my lovely bridesmaids sent me an engagement shoot of one of her sorority sisters and I'm in love-e-e-e-e with the style of it. Love as in, I cannot stop thinking about it! 





 I can't pinpoint what it is, but I think it's the way she uses the natural light. Or, maybe it's the fact that the bride to be is stunningly beautiful!


I guess my questions is:  is it okay to send these to her and say that this is the style I'm completely obsessed with? Or, should I just trust her creative style and just stop being a bridezilla?

What do you ladies think?

8 comments:

  1. I have an idea! Why don't you tell your photographer what YOU want. Remember, it is your wedding. Quit trying to make other people happy. You do it way too often. Get excited for game day, future Mrs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. saw your comment on my blog...of course it's only natural to rethink your decisions--trust me, we all do when it comes to our weddings! it's the most important day so i totally can relate. if i were you, this is what i would do...take an inventory of pictures you really like for your shoot--then send a quick email to your photog letting her know these are the types of shots you're hoping to capture for your save-the-dates or whatnot...that way, she knows what you're looking for--you're paying her so your pictures should be what YOU want ;)
    hope this helps!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I just started reading your blog. I got married a month ago and thought I would offer a little advice too! :) When I interviewed photographers, I found they all had very different styles and were really proud of the way they used natural vs fake lighting, and other various techniques. I would send the pictures to her and to let her know the types of shots you want but remember to respect her style as an "artist". I had issues with that a lot through my planning process bc i knew exactly what i wanted but i forgot that different vendors can get to end results in different ways. im sure if you show her your ideas, she can get an idea of the way she can better execute her strong suits and style into getting you what you want. :) Happy Planning!! I miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. DONT second guess yourself! It is your wedding and you can make it anything you want it to be, but honestly all that is important at the end of the day is that you and J end up married. Everything else is just part of a great story!

    2. I love this style of photography, too. I actually hate our wedding photos- that's the only part of our wedding that I'm stressed about. I mean, it's not that big of a deal- they are just super traditional and not this artistic storytelling style. I say-email your photographer a few shots that you love love love and ask her if she can do something like that for you. If she can, awesome! If she can't I'm sure there is someone who can :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These pictures are too cute. I love this. I am getting married in May and love any kind of inspiration. Great post. xo

    Thanks for stopping by Fash Boulevard and leaving such a sweet comment. :) I would love if you could stop by and check out my most recent post about my trip to the private opening of the Giuseppe Zanotti Vegas boutique.

    www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank goodness, I'm not the only one out there! :)

    Okay...here is my story:
    I got engaged last October and our wedding is July 2012.
    In November (a month after we got engaged) I found the most amazing photographer and booked him right away! At that time, I felt he was the best and I absolutely loved his work. Like yours, he is very traditional and classic. Nothing is wrong with his pictures, it's just not.....the style I wanted. I couldn't/can't explain it...it just doesn't feel right.

    As I flip through wedding blogs online (...on a daily basis) I come across different photographers and fall in love with their work.
    I came across "Closer to Love Photography" and couldn't get their pictures out of my head. It was EXACTLY what I wanted...the lighting, how they capture the little details (they even take pictures of the perfume bottle you are wearing that day!), how they pose the couple, EVERYTHING.

    I emailed them and found out they live in the LA area - about 9 hours away from me, but I had to have them and was willing to do anything.

    So, I did just that...we are flying them out here to capture our wedding and I couldn't be more thrilled. It's the one decision (finally) that I made whole heartedly and wouldn't change it for the world.

    I think through the wedding planing process, we think a lot about "what if"...which causes more work for us in the end. Don't second guess yourself...its your one and only wedding and do what you LOVE.

    If you like those photos (Closer to Love Photography)...then book them! Spend that extra couple hundred on flying them out to Florida! You won't regret it.
    After all is said and done, our pictures are what's going to last a lifetime -- you have to LOVE them! :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tina, you are too kind!

    I stumbled on your blog yesterday and it brought a smile to my face. I am the Photographer behind those photos and would absolutely love to work with you:) Either way, I hope you are completely satisfied with your choice and that more than anything, you have a beautiful and blessed marriage for a LIFETIME! Many blessings to you both!

    Sammy Cosa - http://www.closertolovephotography.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just randomly found your blog and I love, love, LOVE this photoshoot!! Definitely go with what you want...100%. Even if you do "copy" someone else...who cares. Take it from someone who hated and had to retake her wedding pictures (yes, wedding pictures!)...make sure you LOVE your photographer and get exactly what you want!! I can't stress this enough!

    Best of luck! I look forward to reading your blog!

    xo

    ReplyDelete