Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Goin' to the Chapel - The pre-wedding get together





I was going to kick off our Wedding Rehearsal. 
Until, I started with talking about my family dynamic. 
I apologize in advance for this wordy post!

I guess we should back up a bit, and go back my family dynamic. My parents were divorced about 12 years ago, and to say it was a bad divorce is an understatement.  My dad and I never had a relationship, and would see each other maybe once a year. About 5 years ago, my dad's job moved him out to San Francisco and we talked even less. He met Jason one time when he happened to be in Orlando for business. 

When I emailed him about our engagement, and my recent promotion at work. He replied "Sounds great"- For 6 Months into my engagement, that was all I had heard from him. I planned to have my brother walk me down the aisle, and then my mom and my brother. 

If you didn't already know, my mom is my rock. 






About two months before my wedding, my dad came into town. We went to dinner and talked about everything. It was almost 4 hours, of both of us crying about how our relationship turned out. I decided on that day forward, that I didn't want to regret not involving him. I wanted these pictures. I wanted these moments.  My mom suggested that both her and my dad walk me down the aisle. 

I was freaking out - My parents haven't seen each other and haven't talked since divorcing, And, that wasn't on good terms. I suggested that we get together the night before the rehearsal, for a drink, to get rid of all the nerves. Wednesday. I was a wreck. Thinking about how my mom and dad were going to react was driving me crazy. 

Jason and I prepped conversation topics in the car, does anyone else do this?i I wish I was joking, but  we had 5 conversation ideas just in case there was an awkward lull during this.  That stuff happens

My worries were put to rest, We met.  Had two drinks, a few appetizers and talked about our lives, our wedding, our honeymoon. I was completely nerve-free for the rest of the weekend (total lie)

I'm so thankful that my parents pushed away their differences and came together for my wedding. It's honestly something I never imagined happening. 

Next week..I promise we'll get to the nitty gritty.
Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. That picture of you and your mom is sooooo sweet and I can completely relate you and your mom's relationship because my mom and I are so similar. I haven't heard from my birth dad since I was 5, which I obviously don't remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nice that you guys could put your past aside for your wedding weekend! I LOVE LOVE that picture of you and your mom - so beautiful:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a blessing! I can't wait to hear more about your wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that picture of you and I. Kate you are my rock! Love you always! Mom

    ReplyDelete